From our tailored phonics programme in Reception to encounters with Shakespeare in Year 6, English lessons are adventures in the written and spoken word. Our girls love to immerse themselves in a wide range of literary genres, from Roald Dahl to Dickens, and there is always a cosy corner in which to curl up with a book at lunchtime.
Write a magazine article? Lobby your MP? Compose a poem or some lyrics for a song? Declaim a speech? Review a book or play? Words are our friends and even grammar can be tamed.
The High School effect…
- Annual author visits, with sessions in recent years from Marcus Sedgwick and Robin Stevens
- Well-stocked library open at lunchtime
- Library lessons in the Junior School Library
- Regular visits for Year 6 to the Senior School Library, including sessions with our School Librarian
- Shadowing the Kate Greenaway Award
- Shakespeare week
- Theatre visits
The GDST difference…
- Creative writing and poetry competitions judged by writers with a national reputation
- Shakespeare conference