Our students are proud to be bucking the trend against language-learning in the UK, recognising that the ability to communicate in a language other than English and to bring an international perspective to their work gives them a measurable advantage in today’s global higher education and employment markets. Girls embrace the opportunity to learn not only the languages on offer but also to acquire the skills of language learning whilst at the same time developing an appreciation of the cultures of other nations, so vital for the global citizen of the 21st century.
And it’s fun, of course…
The High School effect…
- Specialist teachers in all languages at all levels
- French, German, Spanish and Latin taught throughout senior school to A Level. Classical Civilisation also at A level.
- French taught by subject specialists from year 1 onwards in junior school.
- A modern foreign language as core at GCSE
- Latin as core to Year 9
- Whole-year residential for Y8 to Normandy and residential trips to Berlin, Rome & Pompeii.
- German exchange to Bavaria and homestay visits to Montpellier and Granada.
- Enriching day visits to classical sites, museums, conferences and theatrical performances e.g. Oxford and Cambridge Universities, UCL, the British museum, the Ashmolean, Bath;
- Topical lectures, e.g. Open University Livestream events, visiting guest speakers from Universities e.g. Dr Probert (Oxford, 2018), Dr Roumpou (Nottingham, 2018, 2019) Professor Andrew Wallace Hadrill (2018)
- Flourishing e-Twinning and Erasmus+ projects with schools across Europe involving students throughout the school
- Spelling Bee and drama competitions performed in MFL and Latin
- Film shows
- Routes into Languages Language Leaders Programme
- MFL Club run by our Language Leaders offers taster lessons in other languages e.g. Hindi, Cantonese, Farsi
- Ancient Greek club and elective
- KS3 Classics club run by Sixth form
- The Classical World elective (Sixth Form)
The GDST difference…
- Annual GDST Festival of Languages
- Anne Hogg MFL Prize
- Annual Oxbridge Conference
- Travel Scholarships available for post-18 travel
- Pearson and Silver Award for Classical Projects
- Latin ‘penpal’ project with linked GDST schools