The benefits we hear cited most often are:
- Girls do better academically in single-sex than in mixed classes (especially in science, technology,
engineering and maths)
- Gender barriers and stereotypes do not influence decisions and attitudes in a girls’ school
- Girls feel more comfortable in a girls-only environment where they can relax and just be themselves
- Lessons and the approach to learning can be tailored specifically to the preferences of the girls
- More freedom to tailor guidance and wellbeing programmes to the priorities and interests of our girls
- More opportunities to play the big parts, take the major solos, lead the team, gain the plum internships
- Greater scope to take on leadership roles and develop skills for leadership that will prepare them for life beyond school
- Being part of the Girls’ Day School Trust brings a whole range of remarkable extra benefits and opportunities
Our current students and Alumnae are our strongest advocates, which tells you all you need to know about the quality of the experience, and the stats speak for themselves:
83% of GDST Alumnae believe that attending a GDST school changed their lives for the better
77% believe that the girls-only environment really benefited them
Recent research has shown that the self confidence of girls starts to fall behind that of boys early (sometimes as early as 9 years of age) in mixed-sex environments. That confidence gap persists into old age.
Single sex girls’ schools are the ONLY setting in which this confidence gap does not occur.
[Source: Study by AIBE, University of Queensland, published 2019]
Offering much more than just an education, these girls are being set up for life.